Monday, August 28, 2017

Out There Idea for October

The Toronto Public Library hosts free lectures and talks by excellent authors.  On Monday October 2nd, the same night as our October book club,  Claire Messud will talk about her new book: The Burning Girl. The book sounds interesting: it is a coming of age story about an intimate female friendship. Claire also sounds intriguing as she likes to write about "difficult women." https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/10/magazine/whos-afraid-of-claire-messud.html?mcubz=3

Would the group be interested in reading this book and attending the author lecture for our October book club date? The lecture is 7:00 - 8:00 pm at the Toronto Reference Library. The tickets are free, but we need to sign up for them in advance. For this lecture we need too book  at 9:00 am on Monday morning September 11. A single person can book 2 tickets, so we would need to have 5 people sign up to get the tickets before they run out.

After the event, we could grab a bite to eat in the neighborhood and de-brief.

If we want to do this, we will  need to coordinate this via the blog before our next book club. Let me know.


10 comments:

Jane Cawthorne said...

I love t his idea. Claire Messud is a wonderful writer. I loved "The Woman Upstairs." She is a well known writing teacher and married to James Wood, one of the most important critics alive today. So I am all in. Unfortunately, I will be in Italy the day the tickets need to be booked, so someone would have to book for me.
Good idea Barb.

Marney said...

Unfortunately I will be in Quebec City... if I wasn't I would so have enjoyed this! Thanks for proposing it!

Christine said...

I'm in. Love the idea. So 5 people need to show up on Monday Sept 11 in the morning to line up and get tickets? Could be tricky - with my work...can't we book them online?

carolyn said...

The tickets are booked online. I can go and would be happy to book 2 tickets. However, I will need a reminder. It is a great idea.

Jane Cawthorne said...

You can book online Christine but you have to do it at 9 am sharp. Tickets go fast.

Christine said...

Yes. I will book 2 tickets online at 9 am!

barbara donaldson said...

It sounds like we should do this. We need 5 people to each book 2 tickets on monday morning September 11. Here is the link https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/claire-messud-the-burning-girl-tickets-36526724416?aff=es2

Ticket orderers so far are: Barb, Christine, Carolyn -- We need 2 more people!

Julia said...

Hi all, I would love to attend and can book online too!

Christine said...

Got 4 tickets!!!

Jane Cawthorne said...

Yay. Save one for me! Cooking school is amazing. Looking forward to seeing everyone in October.