Monday, May 4, 2009

New book for June

Thanks Carolyn for a delightful meal in your gorgeous house. It was a classy and elegant evening.

Barb D, Carolyn, Laura and Lori all brought book choices to the group. Choices included: Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels, March by Geraldine Brooks, Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer and Reading Lotita in Tehran. First there was gnashing of teeth, then the arm wrestling match and finally a dance contest all to select Carolyn's choice The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. Since it was a joint decision to chose the book, we decided that everyone would facilitate the discussion. Bring 2 questions you would like to discuss about the book.

Looks like there are lots of copies of it at Chapters. See you all next month.

btw - Lori, you are the book selector for July. Did you want to put forward your choice?

7 comments:

lori said...

Carolyn... thanks again for hosting such a yummy meal in your beautiful new home!

My july selection is..... "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi.

Have a great month ladies! I"ll see you in July!

lori said...

I was talking to my patient today and she said that "Reading Lolita...." was just "okay".... so my original choice was going to be "Three Cups of Tea by Mortenson and Relin.

I hope that Christine hasn't read "Reading Lolita..." already! ha ha ;)

Enjoy!

Christine said...

Lori,
I already got it out of the library!!
So this month I am reading "into thin air", "Reading lolita.., and "The elegance of the hedgehog" (when I get a copy)!!
Have a great trip!! & Happy Birthday!
Christine

Laura said...

Lori, have a great trip, Three cups of tea has been on my list for a while it gets my vote. Happy Birthday.

Carolyn A said...

I'm confused....are we still reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog this month?
Also, I need to ask for a HUGE favor from someone....I am supposed to host the June 1 meeting, but I have to get on a plane to Amsterdam that day at 5:30 pm. Can anyone switch dates with me? (again)

Christine said...

Hi Carolyn,

This month's book (i.e. for June bookclub) is "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". Next month's book is "Three Cups of Tea". According to the hosting list (see home page) - I think Joanna is to be the host in June.

Christine

barbara donaldson said...

Yes - Joanna is hosting and has confirmed so no worries Carolyn A. I will update the book selection for July to Three Cups of Tea.

I've started the Elegance of the Hedgehog and it is very funny but I need a dictionary!!!!!